ANNOUNCING THE 2017
LIGONIER VALLEY WRITERS
FLASH FICTION CONTEST!
You have no need for extra money, do you?
Writers write for the pure joy of it, not to sully themselves with lucre, right?
Well, if you disagree with either or both of the above statements, read on …
Here’s your chance to put an extra $50, $25, or $15 in your pocket!
How? Write a scary (or not so scary) story for the edification and entertainment of the judges and your readers.
Ligonier Valley Writers wants wordsmiths and scribes to enthrall us with short-short stories for its annual Flash Fiction Contest.
Time is running out like the sand in an hourglass. Ed Kelemen, contest chair, set the deadline for the contest at the stroke of midnight on August 15, 2017, when the last grain of the hourglass trickles away. So dip your quill in a pint of blood and get started.
Ligonier Valley Writers, knowing the lack of cash in most writers' wallets, is pleased to announce that, for the twelfth year in a row, there will be NO ENTRY FEE for this contest.
OK, here are the details: This year's topic is Haunted Objects. It can be any little (or not so little) old or new thing that attracts spirits. Use your imagination — you’re a writer!
In 1,000 or fewer words, tell us a story. Flash Fiction means a maximum of 1,000 words. And please, no poetry.
1. Let's save a few trees and submit electronically. Place your story in the body of an email and send it to Ed Kelemen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send it as an attachment. Attachments will not be opened. The subject line of your entry must read “Flash Fiction Entr”y. Otherwise, it will be sent to the trash folder unopened.
2. Include a short bio, no more than 150 words, with your story.
3. Include the following statement with your entry:
“I [Your Name], hereby give Ligonier Valley Writers the right to read my story titled, “___________,” at various venues during the Halloween season of 2017, and a one-time right to publish the story at www.lvwonline.org. All rights revert to me six months after the story is published.
4. Include your name, address and contact information.
5. Winning entries will be read at various venues during the Halloween season of 2017. Winning writers will be invited to read their stories at those locations. Winning entries will also be published on the Ligonier Valley Writers website.
Now, for the part you've been waiting for. Prizes will be awarded as follows:
First Prize, $50
Second Prize, $25
Third Prize, $15.
There will also be three Honorable Mentions. All winning entries, including honorable mentions, will also receive a one-year complimentary membership in Ligonier Valley Writers.
Entries that do not follow rules 1, 2, and 3 will be disqualified unread.